Is there any way to get wordpress to check for, download private theme updates?
I found this plugin for private plugin updates….
- Should I use custom menu, C.P.T. or theme options, or something else for this?
- Free starter theme to make mobile websites?
- Getting instance variable in scope of 'wp_enqueue_scripts'
- Context aware widgets. My work in progress
- Is it possible to include an HTML flat-file website inside a WordPress theme?
- How do I attach images to a post without inserting them?
I’m looking for the same thing but for themes.
It’s quite possible. I’ve been doing this for years with my Version Checker plugin.
I do not distribute it openly, but in essence it checks a private version API , and then tosses the extra results into the update_core, update_plugins and update_themes site transients. WP then takes it seamlessly from there courtesy of the WP patches I supplied when I was developing it.
I have personally used this one and it is really good and awesome.
Using this library is easy you just have to add a piece of code to your functions.php file and host the theme.zip and a JSON file containing the new version numbers and other basic info somewhere in web publicly accessible.
If you want a hosted solution that you don’t have to manage, check out Kernl. Its a service that provides the infrastructure for updating plugins and makes it easy to integrate into your own plugins.
I’ve found this that seems it might do the job.