Is there any way to get wordpress to check for, download private theme updates?
I found this plugin for private plugin updates….
- When trying to set title, not sure how to edit it for different pages
- How to determine if custom menu is active?
- Best practices - Should I create a child theme vs. customizing a framework theme? (such as HTML5 reset)
- How to display recent posts on home page with custom HTML
- Limit Loop to 5 Posts?
- How to wrap anchor around HTML on tinyMCE editor
I’m looking for the same thing but for themes.
It’s quite possible. I’ve been doing this for years with my Version Checker plugin.
I do not distribute it openly, but in essence it checks a private version API , and then tosses the extra results into the update_core, update_plugins and update_themes site transients. WP then takes it seamlessly from there courtesy of the WP patches I supplied when I was developing it.
I have personally used this one and it is really good and awesome.
Using this library is easy you just have to add a piece of code to your functions.php file and host the theme.zip and a JSON file containing the new version numbers and other basic info somewhere in web publicly accessible.
If you want a hosted solution that you don’t have to manage, check out Kernl. Its a service that provides the infrastructure for updating plugins and makes it easy to integrate into your own plugins.
I’ve found this that seems it might do the job.