WordPress install enters an infinite loop

I am really struggling with this one – hopefully someone here can help…

I am installing a brand new, fresh version of WordPress v4.0 (A task I’ve performed easily 100+ times before without incident)

I have setup a brand new sub-domain and database for it then run the install script… But, everytime I try, I get caught in an infinite loop…

I tried deleting the sub-domain and database and recreating a new, completely different sub-domain and database name but the same thing occurs… I also delete the wp-config.php and start over again but always, when I get to point 4, it gets caught in an infinite loop…

The install process:

  1. got oo URL
  2. Select Country
  3. Click “Let’s Go”
  4. Enter the db_name, db_user, password, host and table prefix and click submit
  5. Click “run the install”

But every time, I get the same result:

This web page has a redirect loop

The web page at
http://www.domainname.com/wp-admin/install.php has
resulted in too many redirects. Clearing your cookies for this site or
allowing third-party cookies may fix the problem. If not, it is
possibly a server configuration issue and not a problem with your
computer. Learn more about this problem. Error code:

I tried clearing the cookies but I know that’s unrelated because I also went to rexswain.com and viewed the http header and it also gets caught in the same redirect loop…

I don’t even know where to start looking!

There is no .htaccess file – 100% confirmed!

And when I check the database – no tables have even been created!

I am perplexed – any advice on how to do some debugging would be awesome!

Solutions Collecting From Web of "WordPress install enters an infinite loop"

I finally found a solution to this problem and thought I would post my solution for anyone looking for assistance.

My main website sits on /public_html on my server
I was installing new sites on a subdomain (e.g. newwebsite.com.au) in a sub-directory: /public_html/sites/newwebsite.com.au

Even though /public_html/sites/newwebsite.com.au was the root directory for the subdomain: newwebsite.com.au for some reason, the web server was still reading and using .htaccess from the parent/parent: /public_html

I had security software installed on the main website which was blocking install.php from executing.